New for 2018
Banff Tour/ Photo Workshop
Let us take you on a tour of the most iconic sights in the Banff area. This fun day is designed for visitors interested in visiting the special locations in the area while learning professional techniques for creating travel and landscape photographs. Running this photography workshop is chief photographer Aaron Black who has travelled to more than 25 countries creating travel images for magazines and gear companies. We pick you up at you hotel, show you the sights, and teach you photography.
Length: Full day
Each workshop has 4 spots available. Our first hotel pick up begins at 8 am. Once the group is assembled we will make our way to Banff Avenue for the first component of the workshop.
Overview of the Day:
8:30am to 9:30am Standard Camera Functions
Location: Banff Avenue
- We go over the basic functions of the camera and how they affect the image.
- We cover aperture, shutter speed, ISO, depth of field and perspective.
9:45am to 10am Drive to Vermillion Lakes
10am to 11am Composition
Location: Vermillion Lakes
- We will discuss the rules of composition that are designed to create images with as much impact as possible.
11am to 11:30am Drive to Johnston Canyon
11:30am to 12noon Hike to Lower Falls in Johnston Canyon
12 to 1pm Understanding Contrast
Location: Lower Falls in Johnston Canyon Castle Mountain Junction
- Our contrast component explains that the camera does not see the same as the human eye and teaches you how to produce images with optimum contrast.
1pm to 1:30pm Hike back to truck
1:30 pm 1:45pm Drive to Castle Mountain Junction
1:45pm to 2:30pm Lighting
Location: Castle Mountain Junction
- In this component we talk about working with different types of outdoor light such as shade, blue sky and sunshine.
2:30pm to 3pm Drive back to Banff
3pm to 4pm Making Graphic Images
Location: Nakiska look out or Banff Springs Hotel look out
- We talk about assessing the scene you are photographing and learning to recognize what elements are important.
4:15pm to 4:30pm Drive to indoor location
4:30pm to 5:30pm Learning How to Process Images
Location: To be Announced
- We will reserve a cozy spot in Banff to sit down, eat and edit the images from our day.
- A very quick look at how to get the most out of your raw files in Adobe Lightroom. It is recommended you bring a laptop with either a purchased version or a free trial version of lightroom on your machine to follow along.
We have been in the area for 6 years and we want to show you our favourite places. Your instructor Aaron Black, has been shooting for over 20 years and his images have been published in National Geographic Adventure, The Lonely Planet, and Outside Magazine to name a few and have been used by leading outdoor companies such as Patagonia, Black Diamond Equipment, and Arc'teryx.
This is a new component to Blackstar Photography. Take advantage of our introductory rates.
Tours of 4 people = $75 per person
Tours of 3 people = $100 per person
Tours of 2 people = $150 per person
Tours of 1 person = $300
Max 4 people per tour
We run the workshops year round. Contact us to make a booking.